“Informal English Phrases
These phrases are ideal for language tests such as for example TOEFL or IELTS. These phrases will probably be too informal because they are too personal in an academic essay.
“IN MY OPINION, + YOUR SENTENCE”
- A good education is more important than a good car in my opinion.
“I BELIEVE THAT + YOUR+ that is THAT SENTENCE”
- I really believe that schools should encourage students to walk or cycle to school rather than drive.
“IN MY MIND, + YOUR SENTENCE”
- “In my mind, no-one should have to fund health care.”
More Formal Academic Phrases With ‘That’
These phrases are more ideal for academic essays. If you should be unsure whether you need to use a friendly phrase or an academic phrase, use an academic one. If you were to think your writing might be informal, read this post to learn more.
The patterns listed here are quite straightforward. Just add your sentence after ‘that’.
“IT WOULD SEEM THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Use this whenever you support your opinion with evidence.
- “It appears to be that children learn best when they’re feeling comfortable.”
“IT COULD POSSIBLY BE ARGUED THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Make use of this when you want to challenge an opinion that is existing.
- “It might be argued that the advantages outweigh the drawbacks in this case.”
“THIS SUGGESTS THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Utilize this when you don’t want to fully agree to a viewpoint. You’re giving yourself some distance.
- “The ev >“THIS PROVES THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Make use of this when you’re at ease your opinion. This phrase is quite strong*
- “This proves that the best way to lose weight is by a controlled diet and an excellent exercise program.”